Navy Barracks, Kirikiri town, Lagos was yesterday morning thrown into deep mourning following a fire incident that burnt two children to death while their parents were away.
The fire outbreak according to sources occurred at about 3.30am at a three bedroom bungalow, Naval Town Camp site, Kirikiri Road Apapa, Lagos.
Those affected were children between the ages of six and nine.
It was gathered that the incident which affected two males was caused by electrical sparks from one of the rooms in the building before spreading to the whole apartment.
Speaking on the incident, General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Mr. Michael Akindele, said the father of the children was a naval officer, adding that both him and his wife were away when the fire incident occurred.
“It was also gathered that the husband, a naval officer and the wife were out of the State when the incident occurred, unfortunately, two male children between the ages of six and nine were burnt to death,” he said.
He added that the house help, known as Patience, rescued the first child Ayomide, aged 13, adding that the corpses of the affected children were taken to Naval Hospital Kirikiri, while the house help and the rescued girl were treated on the spot by LASAMBUS and were later taken to the Naval Hospital for treatment and examination.
The LASEMA boss said prompt intervention of the fire service curtailed the fire from spreading to the surrounding building.
He said his men conducted proper checks on cables and electrical installations to avoid unnecessary loss of lives and properties, adding that preliminary report revealed that the fire was caused by electrical spark from one the room in the building before spreading to the whole apartment.
He said investigation will be carried out by relevant bodies to ascertain the true cause of the incident.
– Emmanuel Ukudolo, Lagos