The embattled Chief Security Officer (CSO) to former President Goodluck Jonathan, Mr. Gordon Obua, has been release few hours after he was presented to the media following rumours of his death in the custody of the State Security Services on Tuesday night. PRNigeria, an organisation that issues press statements for Nigerian security agencies, said the former Chief Security Officer was allowed to go home to his family on Tuesday night. It said Mr. Obua was released at 10 p.m. on Tuesday.
“Competent security sources informed PRNigeria that Mr. Obuah slept in his house Tuesday night along with his family after a comprehensive de-briefing by operatives of the Department,” PRNigeria stated.
Following rumours of his death, the DSS presented Mr. Obua to the public on Tuesday afternoon at a press conference without allowing journalist to ask questions. Obua thank Nigerians and told journalists he was hale and hearty, and that he was treated with dignity by the management and staff of SSS.
“I thank Nigerians and members of my family who have expressed very serious concern about my wellbeing in the last six days,” he said. “I want to use this medium to tell Nigerians and members of my family that I am hale and hearty.”
“As a serving officer of DSS and having completed my duty tour with the last President, the service felt that I should give a briefing of my stewardship.”
Obua told journalist that he is still in the service , sequel to speculations that he was sacked. “SSS is a serious organisation, I have limitation in which I am allowed to talk as a security officer.
I am still in the service, so far no adverse situation.” When ask why he was detained , Obua could not address the press on his offence , instead he said he has limitations on his words as a security personnel.
However, it was rumoured by some media on Monday that Obua was denied access to food and medication since the day he was brought in to SSS custody.
-Faith Aghaeze, Abuja