The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) on Sunday confirmed that 145 Nigerians were killed in the Sept. 24 stampede in Mina, Saudi Arabia.
More than 769 pilgrims from across the world were confirmed dead and 1,000 injured during the stampede on one of the roads leading to the Jamarat complex (stone throwing site) in Mina.
Briefing newsmen in Mecca in an update, NAHCON’s commissioner in charge of Planning, Research, Information and Library Services, Dr Saleh Okenwa, said that seven of the 42 injured pilgrims were still on admission at various hospitals in Saudi Arabia.
He, however, said that the number of pilgrims earlier declared missing had reduced from 214 to165 following the discovery of additional bodies of some Nigerians killed in the stampede.
On the transportation of pilgrims back to Nigeria, NAHCON’s Commissioner in charge of Operation, Dr Saleh Modibbo, said that more than 60 per cent of the pilgrims had been transported back to the country.
Specifically, he said that 40,850 of the 76,000 Nigerians, who performed the pilgrimage had been transported back to the country. Among those transported back to Nigeria are pilgrims from Kwara, Gombe and Nassarawa states.