October 11, 2015 – At least four people, among them a 6 month old baby were injured today when an explosion rocked a bungalow at 88 Oworo road, Oworonshoki, Lagos.
The explosion which has been described as chemical in nature by officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency(LASEMA) occured in a building with five rooms and a big shop where wine and assorted carbonated drinks were sold.
The building, according to General Manager of the agency, Mr. Michael Akindele caved in when the chemicals exploded, adding that the injured have been taken to nearby Afolabi Hospital for medical attention. The incident occurred around 1.05pm on 11th of October, 2015.
The cause of the explosion was as a result of gas leaked from one of the refrigerator compressor that got in contact with the chemical/wine in the shop.
“The vibration from the explosion affected and chattered the window glasses of adjacent buildings”, he said. According to him, the agency received the distress call around 1.12 pm,and immediately activated its emergency response team, as well as Lagos State Fire Services.
“Three adults were rescued alive but with minor injuries, they were taken to nearest hospital (Afolabi hospital) for treatment, a 6 months old baby boy also survived the explosion nd was taken to intensive care unit by Lasambus”, he said.
– Emmanuel Ukudolo