Job title: Senior Policy Officer – Education Division
Post level: P3
Department: Department of Human Resources, Science and Technology
Supervisor: Head of Division Education
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing Date: June 17, 2016
- Facilitating the implementation and conducting the monitoring, follow up and evaluating of education commitments by Member States;
- Initiating the drafting of policies, programmes and project proposals relating in particular to teacher development and pedagogy; curriculum development; open and distance learning, among others areas of Education Development
- Collecting data and information needed with a view to analysing the educational systems and problems;
- Organising and servicing workshops, seminars and meetings on education
- Coordinating the work with RECs and NEPAD;
- Ensuring follow-up of programme activities with Partners and lead implementing agencies
- Drafting reports, contracts, letters and memos
- Supporting the work of consultants and short term staff in the Division
Required Skills and Competencies
- Functional Skills
- Drafting the programme budget;
- Acting as officer in charge of the Division
- Representing the division to others and ability to identify potential for synergistic collaboration
- Resource mobilization
- Any other relevant duties assigned by supervisor
- Any other relevant duties assigned by supervisor
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis
- Project management;
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills;
- Resources Mobilization skills
- Good communication and negotiating skills;
- Good planning and organizational skills;
- Must be computer literate.
- Well-developed ICT skills including efficient use of word processing, spread sheets and other important
- computer applications
- Planning and organising
- Communication: Effective written, oral and presentation skills,
- Key Results Areas/Outputs
- Reporting function
- Judgment and Decision-Making
- Sound judgement in interpretation of instructions and guidelines
- Coordination of assignments of short term staff
- Leadership and management skills and abilities
- Ability to mediate successfully in conflict situations.
- Ability to effectively manage and direct the work of teams of professional, senior and experienced officers.
- Ability to work in a team and manage it
- Ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural
- backgrounds with respect for diversity.
- Ability to draft/present information in a concise and accurate manner;
- Ability to organize and motivate others,
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Knowledge and understanding
- Demonstrated excellence in report writing, policy analysis
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis skills
- Teamwork and working in multi-cultural environments
- Networking among expert groups and organisations
- Negotiation and consensus building
- Punctuality and working under tight time schedules
- Diligence when unsupervised
- Computer literacy and operacy
- Education Qualification Required
- Candidates must have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Education, Pedagogy or very closely related field with at least 3 years managerial experience. A higher academic qualification would be an added advantage.
- Masters’ degree in fields related to teacher development, curriculum development, or education
- planning and administration
- Candidates with first university degree will be considered provided they have at least ten (12) years continuous relevant work experience of which five (5) years must be at supervisory level.
- Work Experience Required:
- At least seven (7) years working experience in education development in Africa
- Experience teaching in secondary schools or teacher training institutions
- Experience working in international organisation will be an added advantage
- Language Requirement:
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages is mandatory; fluency in additional AU official working languages would be an added advantage.
- Tenure of Appointment:
The appointment will be made for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve (12) months will be considered as approbatory period. Thereafter, the contract could be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 35,300.00 per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. post adjustment (46% of basic salary), housing allowance (US$16,819.00 per annum), and education allowance (75% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$7,800.00 per child per annum) for internationally recruited staff of the Commission.
The applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Websitehttp://www.aucareers.org not later than 17th June 2016
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management
African Union Commission
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)