Careers at African Union Commission , June 2016
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a New Partnership Worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
The Commission of the African Union invites citizens of Member States to apply for the positions of Administrative Assistant to be placed in various departments and projects of the African Union at the Headquarters and other offices as well as for roster purposes.
- Post: Generic for Various Departments and Roster
Job title: Administrative Assistants
Post level: GSA 5
Department: Various AU Departments and Projects
Supervisor: TBC based on the Department Allocated
Duty Station: Headquarters Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Other Regional Offices
- Major Duties and responsibilities
- Analyse and maintain an overview of the Directorate’s work/Project Work or Department work to ensure that timely administrative support is provided in general and specialized areas;
- Schedule a high volume of appointments, meetings and travel arrangements which may include coordinating arrangements for multiple participants;
- Create, update and maintain organised files and records including a system for tracking, monitoring and prioritising tasks;
- Ensuring confidentiality of information and management records is guaranteed;
- Prepare correspondences, executive summary, reports, briefing papers, power point presentations and other documents as required;
- Lliaising effectively with internal and external stakeholders;
- Monitor meeting and correspondences outcomes and decisions and follow-up on their implementation;
- Prepare and participate in various meetings and take minutes and/or notes;
- Provide communications support and assistance to ensure timely responses to inquiries including answering and prioritising calls, email and correspondences;
- Sourcing and ordering stationery and office equipment as may be required;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by Supervisors.
- The responsibilities may vary depending on the department allocated.
- Academic Qualification and work experience
- A minimum of a Diploma in Management, Administration or any related field from a recognized educational institution.
- A higher qualification would be an added advantage
- Good knowledge and practical use of Computer are mandatory
- A minimum of five (5) years relevant work experience in administrative and/or secretarial work.
- Experience in Office Management is mandatory.
- Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills both in French and English;
- Attention to detail and ability to work effectively under pressure;
- Good interpersonal skills, organisational ability and time management;
- Willingness to work unsociable hours
- Proactivity, adaptability and flexibility
Proficiency in one African Union languages is required (English, French, Arab and Portuguese). Proficiency in additional AU official working language would be an added advantage.
- Tenure of Appointment
The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract or short term.
- Gender Mainstreaming
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is annual Gross salary of US$ 47,748.39 (GSA 5, Step 5) inclusive of all entitlements for internationally recruited staff and USD 21,354.35.
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Websitehttp://www.aucareers.org not later than 3rd July 2016.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management
African Union Commission